Friday, June 27, 2008

Wish I could keep this

As promised yesterday I tell you a little story of a very special quilt.

Some time ago I took a class on doing applique mosaic style. The woman who told us this technique is a friend of the amazing Yoko Saito from Japan and explained that this is commonly used in japanese quilts, very often in borders, but also on bags.

Here I show you a picture of one of Yoko Saito's bags made that way




First I was a little stressed, that much applique, wonky effect, little pieces, whaw .............
but decided to give it a try. It's true, it looks quite scary, but knowing all those little extra tricks like using a hera marker instead of freezer paper made life that much easier and after a while it was pure fun.

My class project is still not finished, lots of little triangles to applique, but I needed a finished project as I had to teach a class myself on this. That's why I started a second one, much easier, only rectangles and squares (some of them are just 3/8"), I didn't want to frighten my students, lol.

The class was a pure success, all the women just loved this kind of doing applique, the hardest part for them was avoinding straight lines and creating like this the essential open spaces between the appliqued shapes that give the mosaic effect.

As my project was quite small, about 18"x18" I thought I could use it as my contribution for the ALQS, I just needed to fill some of the empty space and then I had the idea of adding some silk ribbon flowers around the center and embroidered colonial knot flowers on the border.

And know it's done and I have to confess, I would have loved to keep this little beauty for myself, I just love it, the embroidery added the last special kick and I think it's a pure beauty.

You know, sometimes it's amazing, you choose some fabrics for a quilt and you think, ok, not too bad. Then you do all your piecing or appliqueing work and the first bizarr ideas appear, "do I still like that or not" and then you add just a little detail and the ugly duck turns into a white swan.

Do you know that feeling?


OK, , stop talking girl, they are waiting

taaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, here it is




Isn't it pretty? And it's on the way to ................., lol, I just say overseas.

Have a nice weekend and see you soon.

10 comments:

RobinE said...

Wow! What a wonderful little quilt. Gorgeous. And such beautiful work. Just wow.

Exuberant Color said...

That is so precious. I can see why it would be hard to part with.

Helen said...

Its beautiful! Lovely contrast of purple and green! :)

candyschultz said...

That bag is gorgeous. Is there somwhere online where I can learn more about the technique?

AmyB said...

WOW! That's a whole lotta applique, and it's absolutely amazing. Someone's going to be very lucky!

katelnorth said...

It's a lovely quilt - I'm not surprised you wish you could keep it - I wish it was coming to me!

patchwitch said...

OOh, I love the colours :D It is a very nice quilt....
It is so bright, grats!
Where do you buy your fabrics? Do you have wonderful shops in your tiny country?

amy said...

This is such a BEAUTIFUL piece, Lil! What a treasure this is!! I have admired the cover of the Yoko Saito book--is the technique shown in it (even though not in English)? What a lovely combination of colors and stitching too!!!

patchwitch said...

Lil, I have read your comment (thanks for jumping in), my email is
doti4@freemail.hu

thanks for helping me :D

learn chinese said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
And if you want to learn chinese,please visit at
http://www.chinesepal.cn/
or
http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!